Tuesday, July 2, 2013

July 3

Based on local excursions around the Nizwa area, I have noticed that there is very little visible poverty. I suspect the reason for this is the strong family network, but nuclear and extended, who provide each other assistance on such a fundamental level. Communication is extremely grassroots and is essential to Omani culture and society. 

I have started spending more time with the Omani students who are curious about life in America, and quite similarly, we are curious about life as an Omani. 

Yesterday, I had a two hour conversation in Arabic, and surprisingly I realized that it is possible to have a coherent conversation with a basic vocabulary. Of course you learn more as you are speaking, but for me, I was able to get my point across. That was one of the many breakthrough moments I have experienced thus far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment