Friday, July 19, 2013

July 18

Today, we went to an "Iftar" (breaking of the fast) with an Omani family. This is the second Omani home I visited. This one was different because the children were all around my age. The thing that shocked me the most was that they were all either married and/or married with children. I know this is a common aspect of Omani culture, but I really found it interesting that many of their questions directed at us, were about our marital status. In Omani and many Arab homes, there are two entrances and two separate rooms where the men and women eat. The small children and women eat together and the men eat in another room off the family room. Strangely enough, I am no longer surprised at this gender separation, as it has become a part of daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment