Tuesday, July 9, 2013

July 10

Today is the first day of Ramadan and also the day of our midterm exam. After today, I plan on fasting for several reasons-to show respect and solidarity and to take advantage of a time of self control and reflection. After speaking to many of our Omani friends, they seemed extremely excited. We asked them why, and they said that it's a time to focus on living with less and experiencing what it is like to not know what the future holds, regarding meals etc. and learning what it feels like to live with less. I am also wearing an abbaya and head scarf, which is extremely warm in this heat, but people have been wearing them for many years now, so I thought I should too. Here is a picture of my friend Emily and I , in our abbayas. Happy Ramadan!


No comments:

Post a Comment