Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Just completed a successful first year of college, during which I discovered my interest in the Arabic language. Thanks to a wonderful Arabic professor, I learned about the Critical Language Scholarship, a U.S State Department funded program. The CLS is an intensive language program based in a country where the target language is spoken. In addition to a minimum of 20 hours of class per week, I will be immersing myself in the culture of Nizwa, Oman--traveling to outdoor markets, learning about Islam, and putting my knowledge of Arabic to use. I have about one month before I depart for Washington D.C, where I will attend a two day orientation. From there, we will fly as a group to Oman, arriving on June 16th. But before then, I have a lot of preparation and research to do, not to mention maintaining and expanding my Arabic vocabulary so that I am not at a complete loss for words when I first arrive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment